Monday, May 13, 2013

May 12th: Relaxing Free Day

After a long busy week of activity, it was nice to have a day to relax and recharge before another busy week. Most of the morning I spent in the hotel, and this afternoon, my friend Alex and I tried to go to a history museum. Unfortunately, though, I forgot when looking at the hours that today was Sunday, not Monday, so it was closed by the time we went. The building's architecture was interesting, and the building being restored next door was even more beautiful. Despite the fact that we missed the museum, I am glad Alex and I walked there because there was a Moai statute outside that was really cool to see in person. The statue was not as large as I expected from the pictures I have seen, so I wonder if this one was smaller than most. I think it is unfortunate that this statue was brought to Viña del Mar, though, because these statues represent the ancestors of the people of Easter Island and are very important to them. Then, Alex and I went to the artisan shops by the mall. Once again there was not a lot that I was interested in buying, but there was more of a selection this time since we went earlier. I have noticed while being here that despite the fact that clothes and restaurants seem to be more expensive than in the United States, handmade crafts are usually cheaper.
 
Tonight, Brice and Jorge took us out to dinner at a very fancy restaurant by the beach. We started with an appetizer of various seafood that was shared around the table. For the main course, many people ordered steak, but I decided to order a salad with crab meat since it has been somewhat difficult to find fresh vegetables. To finish, we had a dessert sampler of the most popular desserts at the restaurant. After so much food, though, I had very little appetite for dessert and just tried a little bit of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment